DIY Christmas Decor You Can Make with Yarn — Tassel Trees and Pom Pom Wreaths
Are you looking for fun and simple DIY ideas for Christmas decor you can make with yarn? Today I’m sharing some fun tassel Christmas tree and pom-pom wreath projects that make great Christmas decor or handmade gifts. Whether you’re looking for an elegant addition to your living room, a colorful piece of art for a bedroom, or simple framed art for a tabletop or shelf, these simple yarn DIYs have you covered.
(This post contains affiliate links, so I may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on my site at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Tassel Christmas Tree and Pom Pom Art
My daughter has recently organized and decorated the built-in shelves in her room. I’ve enjoyed adding a little extra Christmas cheer to her room, and I created some fun tassel and pom pom art for her bookshelves.
I used this colorful yarn and these wooden pallet blocks to create this Tassel Christmas Tree and Pom Pom Wreath art.
How to make the Yarn Tassel Christmas Tree:
- To make each tassel, cut a small piece of yarn, approximately 5 inches long and lay across your hand securing between your fingers.
- Pull the yarn from the skein and wrap around your fingers about 20 times. After wrapping, cut the yarn.
- Remove the yarn from your fingers, keeping the loops together.
- Tie off the yarn using the 5″ yarn piece.
- Insert scissors and cut the yarn loops at the opposite end of the tying string.
- Fold all of the yarn down, including the string that you tied with.
- Use another 5″ strip of yarn to tie the yarn together.
- Trim the tassel to the desired length. My loose yarns are about 1 1/2 inches long from the tying string. (Duplicate this entire process for the number of tassels you need to complete your tree. I used 7 tassels for this project.)
- Use a hot glue gun and glue three green tassels across the bottom.
- Alternate colors and add a new row with 2 blue tassels.
- Add one green tassel above these.
- Finish off with another blue tassel to top the tree.
You can watch the IG reel for this project here.
Colorful Pom Pom Christmas Wreath Art:
I used the same wood pallet block and colorful yarn from Walmart to create the pom pom wreath art.
Make your pom poms first. I made 12 with the small pink pom pom maker from this set of pom pom ball makers. It’s really helpful to use micro tip scissors like the pair below to clip the pom poms open and trim them.
You can see how I made the pom poms and attached them to make the wreath in this Instagram reel.
Neutral Tassel Tree Art:
I made this sweet little framed tassel Christmas tree out of cream yarn for our kitchen buffet.
I used this pretty wood 5 x 7 frame from Walmart, as well as this off-white yarn for a natural look.
Follow the steps outlined above to create the yarn tassels, and add them to the frame. I made 7 tassels for this tree. If you want to use a larger frame to make a bigger tree, you would need to make more tassels.
I removed the glass from the frame and glued the tassels directly to the back of the frame, covering the holes with the tassels.
The tan backing of the frame is the perfect shade and texture for the neutral look. I collected a small twig from the yard to glue on for the tree trunk.
I love how pretty it is on our buffet!
Pom Pom Christmas Wreath Pillow
I made this Christmas wreath pillow a few years ago with dark green yarn and a purchased lumbar pillow cover.
I used this lumbar pillow cover from Hobby Lobby (which is still available online) and dark green yarn similar to this to create the wreath design on the pillow cover.
You can use either the pink or yellow pom pom maker for this wreath. For these pom poms you should leave the tying strings attached to thread through a large needle to attach the pom poms to the pillow. As an alternate method you can glue them on, but the sewing method is more secure. You need to create two rows of pom poms to achieve the nice, full look.
I hope these ideas for Christmas decor you can make with yarn get your creative juices flowing! They add special homemade touches of Christmas around your home, and are perfect for gifts as well!
For other Christmas decorating and craft ideas check out the following:
An Easy Chinoiserie Ornament DIY and Christmas Tour
3 Great Inexpensive Christmas Wreaths from Walmart
Our Blue and White Color Scheme for Christmas